Every person who loves to paddle a kayak and often spends a weekend rafting on rivers, just once must try what is sea kayaking. To feel all the might of the elements can only be in the open sea on a small boat, and then you immediately realize that sea kayaking is a completely separate kind of water tourism, which has many nuances in comparison with rafting on the plain rivers and white water rafting rapids.
Features of sea kayaking
- Sea kayaks and kayaks equipped with aprons for the paddler (kayaker skirts) are used for rafting to keep the water from the waves inside the boat.
- Wind – you should carefully study the weather forecast before rafting and keep an eye out for wind changes. Wind provokes breaking waves and accelerating in wide open spaces can significantly adjust your course and speed. Also, the wind affects the feeling of temperature. In the cold season, the wind can significantly reduce the temperature, because of this rafting participants will be cold, and in summer the wind blowing cool can create a cool effect, and if you forget to put sunscreen or cover the exposed parts of the body with clothing, by the evening you can get significant sunburn.
- Waves are an entirely separate science and are studied by sailors. Waves have height, length, steepness, and speed. Waves are wind waves, tidal waves, baric waves (caused by changes in atmospheric pressure), and mixed waves. In general, this is a separate science. When going on a small trip it is important for the kayaker to be attentive to the weather forecast, the waves and keep track of their changes.
- The methods of rescue and self-rescue at sea – being far from the coast you won’t be able to anchor overturned kayak and pour out the water on the shore, that’s why you should learn the ways of pouring water out of kayak directly on the water and the ways of getting a person into kayak from the water. For this there are special techniques and elements of equipment for rescue. You also need to equip the kayak with unsinkable tanks or make sure the compartments of the kayak are sealed so the boat stays in the water when it is overturned.
- Spare route – when planning rafting on the sea you should take into consideration the fact that probably on some day you won’t be able to go to the sea because of the high waves, so in order not to be bored you should think about the interesting places and tourist attractions in the area. You can also think of a backup rafting route if there are rivers or estuaries nearby.
- Sea traffic – the kayaker, must ensure his visibility on the water with a brightly colored lifejacket and boat. Even so, a kayaker can be invisible to large ships, so you have to be as careful and do it as quickly as possible when crossing shipping lanes. That said, by law, a kayaker must follow navigational rules just like other vessels.
- Border territories – if your route is like ours, along the Black Sea, which is the border of the state, it means that to go on the route you need to get permission from the border guards. To get such permission, you need to look at the website of the border service e-mail address and details and send a notification letter with the composition of the group to the frontier post.